Thursday, July 11, 2013

A Teacher By Profession

I am a teacher by profession.  I love teaching.  As my husband reminds me, no other job gives me the same amount of days off in a year to be at home with my daughter.  On the other hand a teacher spends all of her days off trying to improve herself (or himself) as a teacher all for the benefit of her (or his) students.

Teachers have 8 clock hours just like any other profession but with the added expectations of parent-teacher conferences, lesson planning, and grading papers (to say the least).  However it is impossible to be an effective teacher and complete all the lesson planning, grade all the papers, and contact all the parents within those allotted 8 hours due to the fact that most of that time is spent actually teaching students.  Therefore most of the "free time" teachers have is used up in completing the responsibilities of being a teacher.

That was fine and dandy when I was single.  I love teaching so preparing to teach during my free time wasn't so much of a burden.  Then I got married.  My husband understood I had things to do and though it cut into our time together he was understanding.  Now that I am a mother it is more difficult for me to take that time I am supposed to be with her and use it to become a better teacher.

I was spreading myself thin and I wasn't happy.  As much as I loved being a teacher, I missed my daughter more.  Being a mother was all I ever wanted to be.  The only thing getting me through the school year was knowing I wasn't going to return.

Now it is the summer.  I am loving being at home with my daughter.  I love the cooking, the cleaning, and doing the laundry.  The only problem is I have to continue to make the same amount of money I was making as a teacher and I haven't been able to find any stay at home or work from home jobs that would fit the bill (or pay the bills rather).  As August approaches I am beginning to fear I'll have to once again leave my daughter and spend my days with other people's children instead of my own.

I feel at peace with my decision to not renew my teaching contract.  As much as I have no idea how all our bills will be paid in August, I am at peace with my choice.  Being a religious person I know that God has approved my choice and has a plan for me.  I just wish I knew what it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment